Monday, February 10, 2014

Thing 6

For this thing I explored QuickOffice which was already on my Google phone but I had never noticed.  I'm so glad I tried it.  I use Google Drive extensively for keeping track of personal and volunteer work.  I'd tried creating content on my ipad and phone with the Drive mobile apps and just been so frustrated trying to use them that I would only do it at my desktop.  QuickOffice made creating a simple document pretty easy.  I also tried to make a presentation.  This is complex enough that I wouldn't want to create one on my phone if I had a choice but it did work and in a pinch you could do it, or at least edit one that you already had created elsewhere.  I'll show a few screenshots to illustrate using Quick Office on my phone.

So here is what I see when I start up Quickoffice. I can open a file or start a new one.  It even put my most recent file at the top to make it easy to find.


The formatting options were easy to use.  I created a list.  Next I chose the title and centered that text.


When done you hit the check mark in the corner to save it.  Overall, it was easy to use.  It's not perfect though.  It's hard to choose and highlight text sometimes.  Using a stylus was easier but could still be frustrating.  Also, after saving I went back and discovered that it had somehow added weird spacing into my list.

For a simple quick document, using Quickoffice was pretty nice.

  Next I tried to make a presentation with lots of pictures and different kinds of slides.  This was much harder and very frustrating on such a small screen as my phone.  Perhaps on a tablet it would be more worthwhile.
The basic options to make a presentation are there.

  I did manage to make several slides, My Presentation on Little Kitchen Food Shelf

If you look at the presentation you'll see that the photos I uploaded all have terrible quality and wouldn't be usable.  These started out as good quality jpegs that I uploaded to my Google Drive account and then put in the presentation.  Here is what the cute Daisy Scouts should have looked like.

 So I'm not sure what went wrong with the pictures.  It was also really frustrating trying to highlight and edit text.  If I chose text and then brought up my formatting options to change the font size, the window that came up obscured the text I was trying to edit.

What you can't see here is the text that is behind the window.  I want to enlarge it and see it as I go, but it wont let me, no matter how I tried to manipulate the screen.  In general, all the options were there to make slides, but it was just really difficult on such a small screen.  Also, every time I saved it and then went back later I got an error message saying it had saved incorrectly and needed to be restored.
Overall, I wouldn't use Quick Office to try to make a presentation, but if you were just trying to do a quick edit on something you'd created elsewhere it would be ok.



No comments:

Post a Comment